The Narrative Language in Drawing: An Online Mixed Media Drawing Workshop By Amaya Gurpide – Instant Download!
This drawing workshop includes five recorded sessions, each just over three hours in length.
During these recorded classes you will be guided through my entire studio practice from the germination of an idea, to the development of that idea through various compositional and tonal studies, ultimately culminating in a 40 hour recorded demonstration of the entire creation of my drawing, ‘Galerna.’ The demonstration has been time-lapsed to fit within three, one and a half hour sessions.
This workshop focuses on my own personal process and technique.
The demonstration is accompanied by narration and Q & A. I discuss all aspects of my process including surface preparation, paper toning, drawing materials, composition, psychological impact, and the complete development of a drawing from the first marks to the final touches
Each session is divided into two sections: a slide show/lecture and a demo with Q & A.
- SESSION ONE: The Substrate: Toning Paper & Discussion on Materials
- SESSION TWO: It All Comes Down to Light: Compositional Study and the Germination of an Idea
- SESSION THREE: Demo Part I: The Armature
- SESSION FOUR: Demo Part II: Weaving Values
- SESSION FIVE: Demo Part III: The Emotional Impact
- The Substrate: Toning Paper & Discussion on Materials.
Wet vs dry mediums · Types of paper · Tooth and preparation of the surface for subsequent layers · Mounting paper on a rigid panel · A little bit of alchemy.
- It All Comes Down to Light: Compositional study and the Germination of an Idea.
Thumbnail study, tonal drawing and value schema · The visual impact · DNA collection: the broadness of sources, models, materials and process · Historical & contemporary references.
- Part I Demo: The Armature.
The importance of abstraction · The scaffolding · Anchor points · Gesture and rhythm of line · Visual deconstruction.
- Part II Demo: Weaving Values.
A brief history of mark-making · Defying conventions without undermining formality · Value Design · The connecting halftone · Intention and unpredictability · Visual tension · Introducing wet techniques into the drawing.
- Part III Demo: The Emotional Impact.
The editing process · The power of imperfection · Storytelling through the technical language · Narrative accents · The Emotional & psychological impact.